Cancer can be defined as the unnatural growth of cell which ultimately will suppress the normal working of another cell which results in cancerous tumour and sometimes it gets spread into other parts.
The medical term for blood cancer is Leukemia. Leukemia is cancer happens in the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system is made up of Blood and bone of the body.
Blood is made of three components Red Blood cell, White Blood cell, and platelets. But In Blood cancer forming cells faces abnormal growth while white blood cells also do not mature normally. This excess amount immature white blood cell is not good for the body as the normal mature blood cells die fighting immunity while the other once are not matured properly to fight.
Blood cancer Types and treatment:
Blood cancer Types:
There is three types of blood cancer are in the world
Leukemia basically is cancer in blood-forming cells. It originates in bone marrow. Abnormal growth of cancer cell suppress or crowd the normal growth of surrounding cells.
Lymphoma develops in the lymphatic system of the body. The lymphatic system is the combination of organs which are responsible for getting rid of waste or other unwanted material. This basically affects lymph or utilized white blood cell.
It is blood cancer which happens in plasma cells. A plasma cell is responsible for forming an antigen.
Blood Cancer Treatment:
Most effective cancer treatments are
- Chemotherapy: This is a very complicated process in this process. In this drugs are used to kill and stop the growth of cancer cell. Many metro cities like Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi cancer hospitals is capable of delivering this treatment.
- Radiotherapy: High-intensity x-rays used to kill the cancerous cells
- Stem cell transplant: In this damaged blood cell is replaced by healthy cells in bone marrow.
Recent advancements in Blood cancer diagnosis and treatment:
- Now cancer treatment is getting very specific as new advancements happening we get to understand the different type of cancer and its properties to provide more specific personalize cancer treatment.
- Genetic profiling is the new step forward for hematologic cancer. As this helps the doctor to have profiled the gene of cancer and to counter it in the better way. This has helped doctors to have detailed insight into genes of tumour this will help make tailor treatment for specific cancer.
- Any type of cancer the reason could be gene mutation and that’s continuous process but which gene is responsible for specific cancer is the new field of study.
- By suppressing growth of protein called BCAT1, researchers has stopped the growth of that protein is provide aggressive support to the growth of blood cancer. This protein also has observed playing the supportive role for other cancer growth.
- The drug ibrutinib, this is oral medication given to the patient. This drug has been proved effective after all the drugs fail to work.
- The scientist is using genetic mutation to counter blood cancer.
- CRISPR-Cas9( unique technology that enables geneticists and medical researchers to edit parts of the) gene-editing technology to screen cancer cells for vulnerable points. This technology can be used to disrupt and destroy targeted genes in the genomes of cells to fight blood cancer.
- Another drug called obinutuzumab given to the cancer patient along with the chemotherapy to untreated chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Researchers has also made progress in finding the genetic driver which is responsible for lethal childhood leukemia. This is a very important discovery as this will happen to the children.
- In new finding are explained that leukemia in children is developed because of the gene mutation. Scientists had found the protein which is the main reason for blood cancer.
- The big part of blood cancer treatment is bone marrow transplant but post-surgery patients face a lethal version of graft-versus-host disease, but scientist has found way to predict whether the receiver will have the disease or not by. This discovery will help doctors to save much life in future.
- In past year the perfectly match bone marrow was needed for bone marrow transplant but haploidentical transplant has opened new doors. So now by haplo-transplant you can use do transplant with partially matched bone marrow.
- Doctors are using integrative approach for cancer treatment so this will eradicate the side effects like neuropathy, chronic nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. So now patient does not need to suffer much while the treatment.